reflections on music, politics, life, scenes and dreams

Monday, September 10, 2007

Leomange in Denver, Part 3 (I left my hoodie in Colorado)

Butler was heading back to Winter Park when I got into AJ's car to hang out for a bit. It was when we got back to his house that I realized my hoodie was in Butler's backseat. I had thrown it back there when it got toasty on the way down the mountain. Not a huge deal, but explitive-worthy. Sh--.

I went to Breckenridge for the afternoon with the mother, where I saw an old friend randomly--he was on his phone on his lunch hour on the sidewalk across the street from where we were having lunch. It was a brief encounter. It was cool.

Happy hour.

Benny's.

Happy hour.

Missed Mo. She couldn't make it up from Fountain til the evening, making our lunch plans too early for her. My evening was booked. It was my last night in town. It's too bad, but that's how life goes sometimes. It's ok, though, because I'm not used to that much companionship and I needed some down time to be by myself, to reflect. I went to the Art Museum. A new addition opened up right after I moved away, or some time around then, so I wanted to see what they had been building as I was preparing to move. It was on my walk to work (in the old days), so I was able to watch the building of it progress. It was pretty cool. The two exhibits that stood out were by some guy named Still and some guy named Bayer. But more of what struck me was the angle of the walls. Walls that angle away from you have a way of creating a bit of vertigo, or at least some dizzyness. It wasn't overwhelming, but it took me by surprise, and a couple of times I had to hold on to the railing; like when looking out at the stairwells that surrounded some empty space. And on the angled walls of the stairwells were blue digital numbers that shimmered in the soft light. Not Escher surreal, but pretty damn cool to be immersed in.

Then I met my brother for coffee and had dinner with the family. I stayed in Lakewood with my brother (the middle one of the three of us). My oldest brother returned the classical guitar that he held on for safe keeping. It was dirty... but he had fairly recently restrung it with some expensive strings. The tone is better than I remember. In fact, the tone is awesome. I've had this guitar since my thirteenth birthday. I know he was disappointed to be returning it, but he knows I appreciate it.

EPILOGUE

A dog missed it's connecting flight, delaying us by half an hour as the airline and the airport tried to recover the pooch. It was lost at DIA and its owner was asked to get off the plane so the rest of us could get going while what happened was figured out.

The Cascades and Mount Hood marked my return home. Well, actually I saw Mount Bachelor first, I think.

After getting home and eating, I took a nap. An hour later I awoke to my neighbor and her friends carrying on loudly in the parking lot. The perfect catnap to start my night.

I saw Damien Jurado play Music Fest NW at Berbati's Pan. It was good. Eric Fisher (of Jurado's band) told me they are working on releasing another CD in the spring, so another tour should be in the works soon. One of my neighbors convinced me to stick around for that night's headliners, Okkervil River (or something like that), and I made it through 4 or 5 songs. The singer arrived on stage stumbling drunk and the band just wasn't that tight. I don't particularly blame them since it was after midnight when they went on, but I can see drunken hipsters all over this town--no need to pay to see them.

I went home, slept, and played my classical all day Sunday. My boss' last day was today. Still no word on his replacement. Life goes on, so it goes, who knows what the future holds...

2 Comments:

Blogger princess slea said...

sounds like a nice trip home. it's important to spend quality time with your mom every now and again.

7:40 PM

 
Blogger leomange said...

Says the mom.

;-)

No, it was a good time. It was one of those vacations you need to take a vacation after, though, because there were so many people I wanted to see in such a short time.

1:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home