reflections on music, politics, life, scenes and dreams

Saturday, November 18, 2006

an open letter to Chipotle

chipotle

Dear Chipotle,
As one of your original customers at the Evans store, I write to warn you of your impending doom. The devil has many faces, as you well know, and I have seen but one: the "Chipotle" at the PSU campus in Portland, OR. Now, naysayers may say, "but Leo, the Northwest isn't exactly known for its excellent Mexican food, why should Chipotle be any different." To that I say, "PSU is an isolated instance of Chipotle mediocrity." I've eaten at the Yamhill store and enjoyed a product quite similar in size and quality to the original. Not so at PSU!

I'm concerned. The burritos at PSU are the same price as anywhere else, but they're 2/3 the size, if that. The corn salsa is heavily onioned, the carnitas have masses of fat, and they try to skimp on the beans (probably leading to the microcosmic burritos on offer at this abomination unto Chipotle!).

And this wasn't just an aberration, the result of an unfortunately timed visit. I've had multiple similar experiences at this pseudo-tle. And I bring it to your attention, not out of my own greed, but out of concern for your franchise's future. I fell in love with your 'ritos as a college student, when a five-and-a-half-dollar burrito would feed me for the day. These are college kids with many years of burrito consumption ahead of them, and if they only have this restaurant to base their opinion of Chipotle on, I think they would be hard pressed to eat Chipotle when there's a perfectly good [insert mediocre chain restaurant] around the corner.

So please, think of the children! Won't somebody just think of the children?! I implore you, Chipotle, please send out quality auditors to this store and get it in gear. A few beans saved now can mean the end of a once-great purveyor of deliciousness.

Your pal,
Leo Danforth Mange, III

6 Comments:

Blogger Helskel said...

I'm going to find Chipolte's email addy and forward this to them.

I mean,

"The Humanity!!!!"


(you know I'm serious too)

9:59 AM

 
Blogger leomange said...

Oh, we're serious as a heart attack on this one, no two ways about it. Get Alejandro on the horn, pronto! Consistency is one of the hallmarks of the franchise system, which can be good or bad, but in Chipotle's case... I think it's pretty obvious where I stand!

7:51 PM

 
Blogger princess slea said...

we eat at QDoba instead.

9:36 PM

 
Blogger leomange said...

(Gasp!!!) BLASPHEMER!

Princess, that just ain't right. Perhaps it is a Colorado thing (I've heard the "Chipotle's good, but what's the allure," line here once before--I assume it had something to do with a PSU "Chipotle" visit, but I could be wrong) but QDoba over Chipotle?!? Maybe they aren't the same all over the country, which would be a shame. But if you're ever in CO, skip the Qdoba and hit the Chipotle. Well worth it! Just saying is all...

11:07 PM

 
Blogger princess slea said...

we don't have Chipotle around here yet. if it's better than Qdoba then we will most definitely check it out when we finally get one.

6:38 AM

 
Blogger leomange said...

i think you'll enjoy it (just avoid the PSU one! I can't stress that enough)

4:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home