reflections on music, politics, life, scenes and dreams

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Vonnegut's elongated shadow cast by the winter sun

Excerpt from Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s introduction to God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian.

"OK, now let's have some fun. Let's talk about sex. Let's talk about women. Freud said he didn't know what women wanted. I know what women want. They want a whole lot of people to talk to. What do they want to talk about? They want to talk about everything.

What do men want? They want a lot of pals, and they wish people wouldn't get so mad at them.

Why are so many people getting divorced today. It's because most of us don't have extended families anymore. It used to be that when a man and a woman got married, the bride got a lot more people to talk to about everything. The groom got a lot more pals to tell dumb jokes to.

A few Americans, but very few, still have extended families. The Navahoes. The Kennedys.

But most of us, if we get married nowadays, are just one more person for the other person. The groom gets one more pal, but it's a woman. The woman gets one more person to talk to about everything, but it's a man.

When a couple has an argument, they may think it's about money or power or sex, or how to raise the kids, or whatever. What they're really saying to each other, though, without realizing it, is this:

'You are not enough people.'"

it occurs to me that there are a lot of not-enough-peoples out there. i read the above lines at a pizza place where i shared a smile with an attractive woman who took her food to go, while i was halfway into eating in. at the same time, a guy from my office was eating alone at the same pizza place, someone i figured to have someone else to eat with. having a book to read, and not having said more than a few words to this coworker, i didn't impose myself upon his dinner. or maybe he was just busy not imposing himself on my alone-time, as if that's something i don't have an abundance of...

...

you know that feeling that what you're writing isn't going to see the light of day because back space is so conveniently located, and publish takes a deliberate act. yeah, it's something like that...

she's out there.

3 Comments:

Blogger princess slea said...

i love kurt vonnegut. one of my friends met him on a plane and gave him some poems. a few weeks later my friend got a letter from freaking KURT VONNEGUT encouraging him (because his poetry was depressed) and he even signed it with the *asshole* asterick. when i was in my early twenties i went through my "vonnegut" period when i read book after book by him. now when i recall his work, i can't remember which book was which.
have you seen the movie Harrison Bergeron?

happy hunting on your quest to find "she"

7:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no way, i'd never heard of HB... checked imdb and will hunt it down this weekend probably.

i dunno, vonnegut will always be freaking cool to me, though it's hard to find things i haven't already read by him (that's one aspect of our 20s that's strikingly similar).

thanks for the good wishes. just a matter of time, as with everything in life i suppose...

10:26 AM

 
Blogger princess slea said...

Harrison Bergeron is based on one of his short stories, it's one of those little movies with a crazy cast of famous people. I'm going to have to dig it out and watch it again ( i own the vhs video, so if you can't find the movie, let me know and I can make a copy for you.)
The first book of his that I read was Cat's Cradle and I always list it as one of the major books that changed my way of thinking. Mr. Social (Preppygirl's brother and a former "roommate" of mine) gave me the book when I was 19. I don't know why but the part about the dead cat with the sign around his neck that said "meow" makes me laugh (and I don't think dead cats are particularly funny) but his writing is so abrupt and unexpected. I have given that book to many kids for hs graduation.
Other books I've given in hopes of "changing some ways of thinking"
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Illusions and/or Johnathan Livingston Seagull (fly bird, spread your wings...da dee la de daaa) sorry.

I'm rambling, i guess i could make a post about this.

btw, i didn't mean that i'm "over" vonnegut, I just meant because he had so many characters that traveled from one book to another that I get confused about who is in what book. Loved them all but especially Cat's Cradle, Hocus Pocus, and Breakfast of Champions

5:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home